Himalaya Palace Cinema - CLOSED in 2009
14 South Road
Southall, Middlesex UB1 3RT
"The most luxurious 3 screen cinema in West London".
"Largest screen showing Bollywood Blockbusters and Hollywood Movies".
The building first opened as a cinema in 1912 and got the distinctive Chinese style exterior in 1929.
In 1974 the building's importance was recognised and became a Grade II listed building. It was forced to close in 1981 for financial reasons.
Due to a grant of £113,500 from English Heritage, the building was restored as a cinema again. In September 2001, it reopened as the Himalaya Palace, complete with three screens. It went on to show hundreds of Bollywood blockbusters films. It closed as a cinema in 2009.
In December 2010, Ealing Council granted planning permission to convert it into an indoor market.
For history of the cinema click here.